Forms of hosting services
A hosting solution involves stashing and/or sharing given content on a web server hosted by a web hosting company. There are different sorts of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a peek at these. Thus, you can elect what you want, depending on whether you'd like to have a website, email addresses, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by given vendors, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans often involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given spell of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely improper interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would allocate the tasks at hand between independent hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various web hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given distributors offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting brand is appropriate if you want to share an immense quantity of pictures with pals or partners since the solution is mostly free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to administering your mail address accounts. Some providers offer webspace hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to launch a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can create e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred web site visitors, you may have a problem with your website hosting reserves. Embedding the video will permit you to administer as many video files as you want without hassling about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to run a web site. To a certain extent, it comprises all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and mail addresses, upload videos, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated server hosting services that permit you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one location. There may be limits based on the sort of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for particular content only.